Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: National City
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Description Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?The
Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for a Sr.
Mechanical Engineer to work in our La Jolla office in San Diego,
CA. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to
develop and produce advanced nuclear detection instruments,
radiography equipment, satellite payloads, and chemical &
biological sensing instruments as the lead mechanical engineer on a
variety of projects and systems. Emphasis is on research and
development programs with activities ranging from support of early
scientific research to transitioning products to production. If
this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep
reading! The Challenge:
- Design, develop, integrate, and test all aspects of mechanical
designs for Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, and Space
sensor systems for federal government customers.
- Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product
development, and test activities.
- Contribute to design reviews and present designs for
- Work independently and use judgement to perform engineering
tasks with uncertain and evolving requirements.
- Evaluate physical systems for thermal, vibration, and
structural performance before they are built.
- Collect performance data from various sensors, and effectively
- Provide mentorship and supervision to junior staff.
- 0-15% travel to customer sites as required.What Sets You Apart:
- B.S. degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or
related field from an accredited college/university and 8+ years of
relevant experience as a mechanical engineer in an R&D
environment. Masters' degree or Ph.D. preferred.
- Must be a U.S Citizen and be able to obtain and maintain a Top
Secret Security Clearance.
- Demonstrated design experience in at least three of the
following areas: Optics and optical packaging, fabrication with
composites materials, mechanisms for use in space environment,
materials for space environment, microfluidics systems ( -L scale),
shock and vibration analysis, precision motion systems, MIL-STD-810
testing, systems engineering, technical project planning, heat
transfer and thermodynamics.
- Experience with definition, setup, characterization and testing
of complex systems, for requirements validation.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with
others. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional R&D development
- Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision
with an entrepreneurial approach to roles and
- Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated
personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Able to build BOM's and assembly work instructions.
- Familiarity with Solidworks as a primary design tool.You'll
really WOW us having one or more of the following:
- Masters' degree or Ph.D.
- Experience leading small teams on projects or tasks.
- Experience with GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Hold an active Secret Clearance or higher.
- Familiarity with Python, Matlab, or Mathcad
- Experience programming and basic coding for motor-actuated
- Experience with Solidworks Simulation, ANSYS, or similar FEA
softwareLInC Pay Range: Pay Range $97,500.00 - $176,250.00 The
Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and
not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors
considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to)
responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge,
skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with
market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other
Keywords: Leidos, National City , Senior Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , National City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!